Like

Friday 22 July 2011

Joanna Leunis wears a Paso Doble Desire Designs Desiree original.......

I met Joanna Leunis and her dance partner Michael Malitowski last October at the monthly Stardust Ball on Upper Richmond Road in Putney where I had a stand displaying my Ballroom and Latin competition and cabaret designs as well as my range of Ballroom and Latin practice and social dancewear.  Just in case you are not aware of how successful and popular this world renowned Latin couple are, here are some of their wins:

World Professional Latin
2008, 2009
European Professional Latin 
2007 to 2010
British Professional Open
2008 to 2010
UK Professional Open 
2007 to 2011
International Professional Open 
2005 to 2010


I was asked by Melina Hamilton (owner of Stardust Ballroom) to be Joanna's dresser for her cabaret performance that night at the Stardust Ball as she had quite a few quick costume changes and Melina knew I was very knowledgeable about Latin dresses and costumes.  I didn't have to think twice, after all Joanna is my absolute favourite female Latin dancer who I have been watching in awe for many years.  I always said I wanted to meet her but I didn't think it would have happened so fast.  I asked to meet her and the universe made it happen!

Well as Joanna walked past one of my Ballroom Paso Doble samples on display (see pic below)

she immediately stopped and came over to admire the design and the extensive elliptical hand beading which was sewn from underneath the bust to the top hip line. She came over and told me how much she loved the design and fabric of this dress which was a silk satin which is luxurious to the touch and very light when dancing which was very important to her.  She felt that the design was exceptionally unique because of its classic simplicity and the use of the elliptical beading all done by hand. I immediately said to her, 'if you like it that much I will happily customise one for you'.  She agreed, so after her cabaret performance that night at the Stardust Ball with Michael which was outstanding as always, she had me take her measurements, and the rest I will say is history.

She asked me to make one minor change to the dress, which was to have gold godet insert on the left side of the skirt (see original design above) to be removed and for the entire skirt on her dress to be made from all red silk satin with the gold hem trim. We made the dress with the change as she requested. Here is Joanna in the dress at her fitting the night before she had to perform in it at the Carl Allan Awards and before she took the dress on her tour of Asia using my dress as her Paso Doble costume for all the shows that she was booked on.





Here is a clip from a Taiwan TV programme showcasing Joanna Leunis performing in a Desire Designs Desiree http://www.desiredesignsdesiree.co.uk dress design as well as a photo below of her performing at the Carl Allan awards.



If you would like us to design something for a competition or cabaret performance, please contact us for a consultation at customerservice@desiredesignsdesiree.co.uk or http://www.desiredesignsdesiree.co.uk
We'll be happy to help!!




No comments:

Post a Comment